Illustration & Visual Narrative (Task 1: Exercises)

27/08/2021 - 24/09/2021 (Week 1-5)

Liew Li Wei 0338076

Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) Digital Media Production
Illustration & Visual Narrative (Minor)
Task 1: Exercises


LECTURES

Week 1 

We were welcomed by Miss Anis and Miss Jennifer. As it is the first class for the module, Miss Anis explained on the MIB so that we know what we will be facing for the upcoming weeks. It was a really chill session , yet I am already excited for what I will be doing for the upcoming weeks.

Week 2

Character Design Basics

Like all design, character design follows a set of principles:
  1. Shapes
    Shapes define a character's silhouette! It is used to identify a character from one another. This is what sets the iconic look.

    Figure 2.1: Example of Shapes in Character Design


  2. Colour
    Colours play an important role at determining who are the heroes/protagonists or villains/antagonists. Different choices of colours also give an impression on a character. Colours have qualities that can cause certain emotions on people.

    Figure 2.2: Example of Colour in Character Design


  3. Emphasis & Contrast
    A good character design is when you pick one visual element in a character and exaggerate it, making the character outstanding and memorable. Sometimes picking a cultural element and adding it to a design makes it uniquely authentic, like Disney's Hercules for example.

    Figure 2.3: Example of Emphasis & Contrast in Character Design


  4. Harmony
    All shapes, line, colours, motifs, patterns must be put together in a tasteful manner. Every element used in your design must work together like they compliment each other - A balance visual elements that has visual heirarchy.

    Figure 2.4: Example of Harmony in Character Design


  5. Expressions/Poses
    The character's behaviour/quirks/personalities that are visual shown, is what makes your characters win the heart of audiences. You don't need to tell them, your audiences can interpret them!

    Figure 2.5: Example of Expressions/Poses in Character Design


Week 3

Composition 1

  • Type of shots/Composition:

    Figure 3.1: Type of shots / Composition


  • Composition Rule No.1:
    • a balanced distribution of POSITIVE vs NEGATIVE spaces
    • find a balance of positive & negative spaces
    • visual hierarchy
    • mood,
    • rhythm/movement
    • visual elements that tell/stage a story
    • there's no right or wrong in composition, only bad & tasteful composition

Figure 3.2: Positive vs Negative Spaces Example 1


Figure 3.3: Positive vs Negative Spaces Example 2


Figure 3.4: Positive vs Negative Spaces Example 3


Week 4

Composition 2

We were introduced to the paintings of Maverik, Da Vinci and Raphael. We learnt about how they make use of linear perspective in their paintings, but what is Perspective?

Perspective:
  • to create depth
    • an illusion
    • a representation of objects
      (from 2D surface to create a 3D optical illusion)
  • type of perspectives
    • 1 point
    • 2 point
    • 3 point
    • 4-5 points (fisheye)
  • number of points = number of vanishing points

Figure 4.1: Maverick's work


Figure 4.2: Da Vinci's work

Figure 4.3: Raphael's work


Week 5

Composition 3

In this week, we studied about rhythm & movement. Having rhythm in art is one of the most difficult aspect to achieve.

Basic visual elements (tools) to create movement:
  • Shapes
  • Lines

Figure 5.1: Maximizing Overlaps


Figure 5.2: Establish Patterns & Rhythms


"Good artists imitate, great artists steal" - Pablo Picasso


Figure 5.3: Painting by Suraj Finearts


Figure 5.4: The movement of the painting


Figure 5.5: Painting by Suraj Finearts 2


Figure 5.6: Creating rhythm using different size of negative space


Figure 5.7: Demonstrating main subject / focal point in the painting



INSTRUCTIONS




EXERCISE 1 - Vormator Challenge


For this task, we are required to create a character of our own using a set of shapes given. We are allowed to rotate, flip and duplicate the shapes. We can also add, subtract, intersect and group elements. What we cant do is alter the original shapes. This is quite challenging for me, but I like facing challenge. Therefore I am ready to face the difficulty in this design. 


Figure 5.1: Vormator Elements


I was inspired by the barbarian and leopard image. Then, I create a character with the combination of both.


Figure 5.2: Barbarian Warrior


Figure 5.3: Leopard


I combined all the shape and have a outline of the character 


Figure 5.4: Character Outline


Then I started to fill in colour with gradient tool and also create the stripe of the leopard on the character's body using the given shape. I also created the muscle lining on the body. Then, I created my final design for my Task 1. I named it Leoprior, which is the short form of Leopard Warrior.


Figure 5.5: Final Design





EXERCISE 2 - Vector Illustration


For exercise 2, we will use our exercise 1's character to create a game card layout. We will design the front and back of the card.

For the card, I added texture of forest for the background of the front and back card. Then I added an double axe image on the back of the card.


Figure 6.1: Forest Texture


Figure 6.2: Double Axe

Figure 6.3: Front Card Design


Figure 6.4: Back Card Design

After receiving feedback from Miss Jennifer, I added the rock texture onto the back card's image and words. I also add texture to the number on the front card.


Figure 6.5: Rock Texture


Figure 6.6: Front Card Final Design


Figure 6.7: Back Card Final Design


Figure 6.8: Character Card Final Design





FEEDBACKS

Week 2

Miss Anis commented on my character design that it is too simple, I should explore more.

Week 3

Miss Anis approved my design and suggested me to add more gradient to the character to show the muscle of my character.

Week 4

Miss Anis and Miss Jennifer suggested some changes for my background so that the card wouldn't be too dull and boring.

Week 5

Miss Jennifer suggested that I can add rock texture to my text and image so that it will be better for visual.



REFLECTION

This is my first time creating a character and player card of my own. For the past I was playing card all the time and I can't really imagine I am creating my own play card now. It is exciting and challenging for me and yet I finally managed to do it. My design might not be the best one but I am really grateful and proud of my own play card. I wanted to thank Miss Anis and Miss Jennifer for the giving me the opportunity to do it. 


Comments