Design Principles (Week 6-8)

28/09/2021 - 12/10/2021 (Week 6-8)

Liew Li Wei 0338076

Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) Digital Media Production
Design Principles (Minor)
Project 1: Self-Portrait


LECTURE

Week 6

Self-Portrait

A self-portrait is basically a representation of an artist about himself that does not necessarily needs to be representational. The artist his free to draw himself in any style, in order to represent his psychological/emotional features, in the piece. It can be:
  • How I see myself (physical traits and personality)
  • How others see me (physical traits and personality)
  • My experiences
  • My interests
  • My thoughts

Figure 6.1: Self-Portrait from Artsper


Figure 6.2: Self-Portrait from Behance


Figure 6.3: Self-Portrait from ArtStation


Figure 6.4: Self-Portrait from Envato Tuts+


Figure 6.5: Self-Portrait from 500px Blog


Figure 6.6: Self-Portrait from Laughing Squid

Week 7

(Work on Self-Portrait)


Week 8

(Independent Learning Week)



INSTRUCTION




PROJECT 1: SELF-PORTRAIT


Figure 6.7: A Simple Sketch of Myself


Figure 6.8: Inspiration 1 from photo by Nicolò Bonazzi

Figure 6.9: Inspiration 1 from Glorify


From my sketch, I chose to work on cheerful, photography and Malaysia. In my idea exploration, I was inspired by figure 6.8, therefore I tried to use a photo of myself and overlay on Malaysia's famous icon, Petronas Twin Towers. Furthermore, I use the warm colour as my background to show the warm and cheerful side of me.


Figure 6.10: Original Photo of Me


Figure 6.11: Malaysia Background 1 from Policy Forum


Figure 6.12: Malaysia Background 2 from Malaysia Airline


I chose this 2 background of Petronas Twin Towers as it symbolized Malaysia and it is located at Malaysia's capital city, Kuala Lumpur.


Figure 6.13: Idea Exploration       1


Figure 6.14: Idea Exploration 2


After receiving feedback from Miss Jinchi, I took a new photo of me smiling. Then, I found a clear portrait image of Kuala Lumpur, which is the capital city of Malaysia, from Pinterest. I place the iamge of KL behind and use the hard light effect on myself so that both image can blend together.


Figure 6.15: Malaysia Background 3 from Pinterest


Figure 6.16: New Original Photo of Me


Figure 6.17: Self-Portrait 1


Figure 6.18: Project 1: Self-Portrait 2


Figure 6.19: Project 1: Self-Portrait 3



FINAL OUTCOME


Figure 6.20: Project 1: Self-Portrait





FEEDBACK

For my figure 6.13, the twin tower is a bit distracting from my portrait; for my figure 6.14, the position of the twin tower is quite odd. Therefore I will need to work on the composition. Miss suggested that my my twin tower could probably only reach my cheek, so it will be less distracting.



REFLECTION

In this project, I learnt a lot through the exploration of ideas from the internet. I acquired a lot of different ideas that I can use to portrait myself. Although I didn't try much on those ideas, but I am sure all these knowledge I gain will definitely be useful for me in the future.


Comments