Design Principles (Week 3)

07/09/2021 (Week 3)

Liew Li Wei 0338076

Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) Digital Media Production
Design Principles (Minor)
Exercise 2 (
Repetition/Movement)


LECTURE

Repetition

  • Repetition could make a work of design seem active. 
  • The repetition of elements of design creates rhythm and pattern within the work. 
  • Variety is essential to keep rhythms exciting and active, and to avoid monotony. 
  • Pattern increases visual excitement by enriching surface interest.

    Figure 3.1: Repetition Example 1


    Figure 3.2: Repetition Example 2

Movement

  • The way a design leads the eye in, around, and through a composition - the path the eye follows. 
  • Motion or movement in a visual image occurs when objects seem to be moving in a visual image. 
  • Movement in a visual image comes from the kinds of shapes, forms, lines, and curves that are used.


    Figure 3.3: Movement Example 1


    Figure 3.4: Movement Example 2



INSTRUCTION




EXERCISES

Repetition

Before working on the design, I look for example and get some inspiration from the internet.


Figure 3.5: Repetition 1


Figure 3.6: Repetition 2


As I was attracted to this butterfly design(Figure 3.6), I try to use "big cat family's paws footprint" to do a repetition design. I got the idea of using "big cat family's paws footprint" due to long exposure of big cat family as I researched a lot on them lately for my design on other module.


Figure 3.7: Final Work


Movement

Same as usual, I searched for inspiration from the internet.

Figure 3.8:Movement 1


Figure 3.9:Movement 2


Figure 3.10:Movement 3


I got the inspiration from the car movement design (Figure 3.9), then I tried using the same concept, but on animal. The animal I chose is leopard.


Figure 3.11: Attempt 1


Figure 3.12: Final Work



FINAL WORK (EXERCISE 2)

Repetition

Figure 3.13: Final Work




Movement

Figure 3.14: Final Work





FEEDBACK

Based on the feedback from Dr. Jinchi on week 4, I need to show the inspiration and concept behind my design inside my blog so that miss will know where does my design inspiration came from.



REFLECTION

In this week's lecture, I learnt about repetition and movement. I realized that it is so satisfying and comfortable to look at good design of repetition and movement. As repetition uses the same element in the design, it made the design less empty yet not complicated; while movement guided our eyes throughout the design. I hope I can create a good design that are able to fulfilled both.


Comments