Design Principles (Week 9-10)


19/10/2021 - 26/10/2021 (Week 9-10)

Liew Li Wei 0338076

Bachelor of Mass Communication (Hons) Digital Media Production
Design Principles (Minor)
Project 2: Sense of Place


LECTURE

Week 9

(public holiday)

Week 10

Sense of Place 

  • The Importance of Observation
    • Being observant means to be attentive to your surroundings, to pay attention to details and to be analytical about them
    • Observation can be an effective way to get ideas
    • Sources of observation can stem from artifacts, daily happenings, physical surroundings, and such
    • Observing is an active act of acquiring information, through the senses, of a subject matter in its natural setting
  • 8 Steps to Improve Your Observation
    1. Know your subject.
    2. Slow down and look outward
    3. Try something new
      (choose activity that will engage your senses and heighten your awareness)
    4. Improve your concentration by cutting out distractions
    5. Challenge yourself to a mental workout
    6. Test your observation by playing a memory game
      (describe a photo or list out everything in the room you're in right now without looking)
    7. Record and consider your observations
    8. Stay inquisitive

Figure 9.2: Water Colour Painting from YDJ Blog 

I like the cool colour used in the painting and also the feeling that the calm lake gave me. This makes my mind feel peaceful and calming.


Figure 9.3: Japan from Global Grasshopper 

I love the scenery from this bird view angle which show the the Mount Fuji, Cherry Blossom and Pagoda Building in Japan. 


Figure 9.4: Mountains from Conde Nast Traveler 

This photo gives me a "back to nature" feel. It's like you can throw away every thoughts in your mind and relax yourself.



PROJECT 2: SENSE OF PLACE


Figure 9.5: Source of Ideas


Figure 9.6: Idea 1 for Sense of Place


Figure 9.7: Idea 2 for Sense of Place (from PureWow)


In the end, I still decided to try on the idea 1 as it shows the "sense of place" of the most comfortable spot in my room. Based on my source of ideas (figure 9.5), I did a few design using galaxy, ocean, sea and sunset as my background so I can find which design give me the calm feeling that is closest to the feeling I have when I am at my computer spot.


Figure 9.8: Galaxy Background 


Figure 9.9: Sense of Place design 1


Figure 9.10: Ocean Background from The Conversation


Figure 9.11: Sense of Place design 2


Figure 9.12: Sea from Unsplash


Figure 9.13: Sense of Place design 3


Figure 9.14 : Sunset Background from Vox


Figure 9.15: Sense of Place design 4

After finishing these 4 different designs, I find design 4 (figure 9.15) closest to the calm feeling I have everytime when I am at this computer spot in my room. Therefore, I will take design 4 as my final submission.



FINAL OUTCOME


Figure 9.16: Project 2: Sense of Place





FEEDBACK

Miss Jinchi told me that I can use any places for this project as long as I manage to portray the feelings that I have on the particular place. For example, it can be a childhood place, the room I am in, etc.



REFLECTION

I am kind of struggling for this project as I don't know what places I should use and how I can portray my sense of the place. Luckily, on week 10's consultation, Miss Jinchi gave me a clearer explanation on what we need to do for this project and provided me some guidance. I am lucky to have a good and patience lecturer that will guide me through my hard times.


Comments